Photobucket

10.29.2008

Three of Coins


One funny thing about the Tarot: the wrong cards hog the attention. Sure, it's fun to get all trembly over the challenges presented by Death or the Ten of Swords, but at the end of the day, wouldn't you rather have the subtle reassurances of the Three of Cups, or perhaps the Two of Wands? The card above is one of these latter, and rarely shows up as more than a blip on the radar for readers and querents alike. Perhaps it needs a stylish image overhaul -- the Waite version is a total snooze, and even the bombastic Thoth deck version looks a little phoned in (sorry Lady Frieda, but I call 'em like I see 'em).

The Three of Coins represents the satisfaction of a job well done -- the sort of coordinated effort that feels worthwhile for its own sake, yet still produces stunning results. While this may not inspire the sort of orgiastic imagery that other cards do, I've been determined to find an example that encapsulated the nuance of craftsmanship and the vision of art; something simple, ambitious, and timeless.

It's unfortunate that I only learned of designer Lou Dorfsman's work on the CBS cafeteria wall thanks to news of his passing this week, but as soon as I saw the photos I knew I'd stumbled onto something singular. The entire wall is a joyous assemblage of typefaces describing various food items, each spelled out in a handcrafted wooden letters. Dorfsman commissioned the project based on his designs, and once the first panel was complete, he passed the torch to his friend and fellow designer Herb Lubalin, who oversaw the rest of them. The finished wall was 33 feet long and 8 feet high, and entertained the cafeteria's guests for 20 years; now, having fallen into disrepair in storage, a new gang of artisans are working to restore the wall in hopes that it will find its way back into public view.

Meditating on the hundreds of hours poured into this humble piece of art over the decades is bound to make you wonder which of your projects will stand the test of time, which ones are worth your while regardless, and which ones might benefit from a little outside input. The ability to get things done the way you've envisioned them is, ultimately, an art in itself. [Via]

No comments:

Post a Comment