I spent a lot of time over the last couple days trying to imagine some sort of harmoniously double-bladed apparatus. I thought about the way incisors work together to chop up our food, or the way propeller blades achieve lift even though they oppose each other. But none of these things seemed like anything I wanted to draw. Then I thought about bees -- how an entire swarm of creatures, each armed with its own venomous barb, manage to work together for the good of the hive. The bees pictured above may look like they're squaring off, but ultimately they know that all the pollen they gather is going back to the same place. Their swords are always visible, but never unsheathed.
5.15.2010
Sketchbook - Two of Swords
I spent a lot of time over the last couple days trying to imagine some sort of harmoniously double-bladed apparatus. I thought about the way incisors work together to chop up our food, or the way propeller blades achieve lift even though they oppose each other. But none of these things seemed like anything I wanted to draw. Then I thought about bees -- how an entire swarm of creatures, each armed with its own venomous barb, manage to work together for the good of the hive. The bees pictured above may look like they're squaring off, but ultimately they know that all the pollen they gather is going back to the same place. Their swords are always visible, but never unsheathed.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete