Photobucket

5.01.2010

Sketchbook - Eight of Wands

Sketchbook - Eight of Wands


I
started off with the best of intentions. After days of contemplating appropriate Eight of Wands imagery, I was inspired by the vague "Here we come to save the day!" quality of its staffs and decided to find something truly useful for them to do.

So you know how in zombie movies people are always busting up the chifforobe or whatever so they can board up the windows? What could be more providentially useful than that?

But you know, once I had it all sketched I realized that this is one creepy-looking card. The Eight is usually described as sudden news or developments that disrupt the game already in progress, possibly tipping the scales in your favor -- anyone who draws this one in a reading is bound to overlook the ever-helpful boards and focus instead on the onslaught of shambling revenants. That's just not right.

It does, however, offer an interesting visual counterpoint to the Seven I sketched just a couple weeks ago. The little hammer-wielding Morlocks seem to have grown almost overnight into a inhuman street gang, hellbent on revenge! Though once you easily overwhelmed your adversaries, now they overwhelm you right back. The Eight's intervention is no deus ex machina, but it will hopefully buy you just enough time to fix the radio, hunker down in the basement, or top off your Molotov cocktails.


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment