I haven't spent any significant amount of time drawing in many years, and that makes me sad. So for my new regular Tarot meditation, I'll be drawing one card from the deck and then literally drawing it, making up a new version on the spot based on whatever's in my head at the time. I'll try to spend no more than about a half hour doing each one, so don't expect anything fancy.
Today I pulled the Two of Wands. I thought of the chopsticks right away because, well, I was sitting in a bubble-tea cafe at the time. In fact, I pretty much completely lifted the hand/chopsticks outline from the instructions on the little paper wrapper that my real chopsticks came in, though I added plenty of my own touches.
I liked the idea of the two "wands" being tools you might use in tandem to select, grapple with, or manipulate something. From there, I surprised myself by gravitating thematically toward the Waite-Smith version of the card, in which a baron of some kind surveys his territory and dreams of owning more, MORE. These chopsticks couldn't just be chasing after some crispy radish fritter or deep-fried cuttlefish ball -- it had to be the world, or at least one specific world out of many. Ultimately I guess I was trying to show someone in perfect possession of their own faculties, setting their sights on a desired outcome and then scooping it up with ease and self-assurance. Mmmmm...
(Or maybe unconsciously I was thinking of this:)
I'm thinking these will make Greg Nog's illustrations look even dandier in comparison!
ReplyDeleteI am always delightfully stunned by the way your mind works. You personify the creative process. I just don't know if you are art, or if art is you.
ReplyDelete