Photobucket

4.17.2009

"The Body Is The Garden Of The Soul..."


A few weeks ago I started the Two Hundred Sit-Ups challenge, which of course led to my attempting the One Hundred Push-Ups challenge. Now I've been suckered into taking on Two Hundred Squats as well, and let me tell you, I feel like I've been kicked down the stairs, but I'm hoping to conquer them all eventually. All three sites allow you to track your progress, and measure out new goals for you based on what you've done so far. All that's required to begin is testing yourself to see how many of whichever exercise you can already do. From there, the path to super-strength (I'd settle for average) is laid out before you, all you have to do is follow it.

This should be a pretty inspirational card for anyone who draws it; the Nine of Coins promises concrete returns on any investment of labor that you can bring yourself to make. The Seven and Eight provide examples of disappointing or mixed results, but the Nine can be considered an unmitigated success story -- an unimpeded process all the way from seed to harvest, all challenges overcome. Drawing this card could mean that you're about to reap the benefits of a work already in progress, but it's also a good omen upon which to start a new enterprise, particularly one that is personal and self-edifying. I chose to highlight fitness goals (as Tony Kushner wrote in Angels In America, "The body is the garden of the soul.") but really anything well-plotted will do, as long as it's something you can tend with your own eyes and hands and effort.


Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. Keep your eyes on the prize, friend!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJE2GpF9Ohc

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, that's basically what we're going for 'round these parts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Someday a real rain will come and wash all the scum off the streets.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would just like to come back in here and mention that I have finally completed the pushup challenge! This week I was finally able to do my 100 pushups. It only took me eight months! (Though as my partner helpfully has pointed out, it's meant to be a six-week challenge. Some people start out wimpier than others.)

    I can't do 100 in a row, of course, it's broken into several sets. But still, eight months ago I could only do 2 pushups in a row, and now I can do 4 sets of 25.

    Squats have fallen by the wayside, but I think I'm going to start over with them now that I've actually met one goal. If you're reading this, keep working! It's worth it.

    ReplyDelete