Photobucket

2.06.2009

"A Steady Protective Influence, However Lighthearted..."


Each day during his lunch break, this dad turns tomorrow's plain brown lunch-bag into a work of art his kids can be proud to carry to school. I can't think of a more awesome way to stay ever-present in the lives of one's kids, inspire them creatively, and remain in touch with one's own childlike sense of wonder and whimsy.

A great many of them seem almost talismanic -- they seem to radiate a steady protective influence, however lighthearted. While Dad's empathetic sense of humor has caused friction with the ruling entities at school at least once, the Calvin and Hobbes imagery that occasionally pops up in his work is particularly apt for the King of Cups -- Hobbes was certainly always the most rational and compassionate protective entity in Calvin's world, reaching across biological boundaries to offer a sane, thoughtful counterpoint (though he sure didn't hold back from demonstrating that his more combustible tendencies were just below the surface). [Via]



Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Without question, this is the most interesting thing anyone has said about my stuff. You make me seem pretty awesome. Thanks for checking out my site.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, thank you! I always feel a little funny about recontextualizing artifacts from people's personal lives, but these are so obviously more than that, your site is a work of art. In my case I always just hope that the ends wind up justifying the means, so I'm glad you were pleased.

    ReplyDelete